Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Kelly Clowers wrote:

You say Moz (?) but, if you refer to Seamonkey, that is diifferent (from
what I understand) to iceape, which has, from what I understand, some of the
Mozilla stuff that makes Mozilla software what it is, removed.

The only thing that should be removed is the name.

I may be wrong in my understanding, but I believe that some of the functionality was removed, in the modifications of the Mozilla products to create the Debian products iceape and iceweasel, as the Mozilla products apparently did not comply with the Debian philosophy and thence Mozilla products in their Mozilla forms were no longer available via the Debian repositories.

My experience of trying to install and update the binaries or whatever, from the Mozilla web site, rather than installing .deb packages using the Debian package management system, was that it was like trying to do brain surgery with a sledgehammer; completely messy, and leading to a useless mess.

One of the factors that led to my conversion to Debian, several years ago, was the ease of locating and installing packages, using the Debian package management system. I am not sure, but I believe that it was somewhere around Debian 3.0, that I was converted, by a local Debian or otherwise Linux guru.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."