Re: Iceape/Seamonkey and Iceweasel/Firefox - was Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

 On 17/09/10 16:40, Bret Busby wrote:
> <snip> read that... (scott) </snip>
> Please note: in an effort to trim the message to which I am
> responding, I cut most of it out, apart from the stuff above, and the
> stuff above "Mozilla Corp", above, was posted by me, and from there
> down, was posted by Scott (to avoid confusion about misquoting).
>
> What about the differences between iceape and Seamonkey?
>
> Do they have the same funtionality?
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

...and I cut it further :-)

Similar story to Iceweasel (note the lower-case w!) and Firefox.
(Going from memory here - so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Once apon a time there was Netscape suite - which became Mozilla suite
(a pyrrhic victory!).... which became Seamonkey - due to restrictions
placed on it by the Mozilla Corporation,  Debian produced the Iceape
version.
That's a little of the history.

Differences:- logos, icons, names etc - plus Iceape is slightly more
configurable (user-agent etc.) and security patches to older versions
are unaffected by Mozilla freezes.
Functionality:- slightly more with Iceape - but I haven't noticed any
difference in performance.

Now - IceWeasel and Iceweasel are/were not the same thing.... but that's
another story.

Hope that helps Bret, Cheers