Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 23:45, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

> Iceape can be convenient, especially beinfg a suite, so it is easy to click
> on a mailto link, and open up the integrated email composer. But, iceape
> appears to be devoid of memory management, and it appears to have a viral
> use for memory, progressively increasing memory usage if the browser is left
> open, and it does not free up the memory that it has been using, when it is
> closed in an orderly manner (that is, on the odd occasion that it is
> deliberately closed, rather than the all too frequent crashes). Also, iceape
> does not have the facility for saving sessions, either deliberately, or,
> when the application crashes.

Sure Moz has session saving.  And it's memory management has always been
as good or better than FF. If Iceape doesn't then they are really messing
something up.

> If iceape and iceweasel both were able to save sessions, and, to provide a
> means of splitting sessions into bookmark folders/sets, for each browser
> window open in a session, so that a user can, on opening a new session of
> the browser after a crash, and select options of a new, separate session, or
> restoring the complete old session (or, similarly, for a previous saved
> session that was not saved due to a crash), or, open in a browser window
> (the existing browser window or a new browser window), a single browser
> window (from a bookmakr set from a previous saveds session), it would be
> good.

It's kind of hard to understand what you want to do, but it seems like Mozilla
(and FF?) do pretty much all of that.

> And, if someone could fix the memory issues, it would be good.
>
> When 2GB of RAM is insufficient to run Linux AND a web browser on top od
> Linux, suxh as iceape, then there is something dreadfully wrong with the
> memory management of the operating system and/or the web browser software.

With 4GB I am never really memory constrained, and everything works
fine with 100+
tabs open continuously for days. It's hard to remember, but I don't
think I really had
too many problems when it was 1GB and something like 10-30 tabs...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers