Re: OT: KVM switch with Debian Lenny

Mark put forth on 3/5/2010 1:35 PM:

> Hi Stan, I think I hear what you're saying is that it's the KVM switch's
> fault it can't handle the machine, instead of the machine being the
> problem.  However, seeing the keyboard and mouse connected directly to the
> desktop whether via ps/2 or usb, and seeing the lights on them glow with the
> machine fully shut down, makes me think something is askew with the box
> itself.
>
> 99.9999999%...so you're saying there's a chance...

No.  What I'm saying is that of all IT gear, KVM switches tend to be the
most finicky.  You obviously have no experience with KVMs.  I do.  I'm
relaying my experience with the things in an attempt to help you take a
shortcut through the learning curve.

You can throw out a perfectly good PC that you know works flawlessly not in
the presence of the KVM, or you can throw out the used KVM you were given
whose previous performance and compatibility history you have no direct
knowledge of.

It takes an odd duck to acquire "new" gear, hook it up to a known good
machine, then blame the known good machine when the new gear doesn't play
well with it.

Have I correctly summed it up?

--
Stan