Re: OT: KVM switch with Debian Lenny

Mark put forth on 3/5/2010 12:31 PM:

> I work with some electrical engineers and they suggested a possible faulty
> circuit, or if a surge occurred at some point, a part of the power supply or
> mobo might be fused closed where it is supposed to stay open when the
> machine is turned off.  This would cause some current to continue to be
> passed through the unit into the KVM switch, via the ps/2 ports in this
> case.

KVM problems are almost _never_ caused by a PC or server.  99.9999999% of
the time it's the KVM switch itself.  I can't count the number of times I've
acquired KVMs that just won't work and hearing the same from colleagues.
About 6 years or so ago, a buddy of mine went through 3 different no name
rack mount KVMs before he found one that worked with all his servers.  He
(his employer) ended up dropping something like $600 on an 8-port Cybex unit
+ cables.

Get a _new_ decent inexpensive KVM switch and throw that hand-me-down POS in
the can.  The only time sysadmins toss old KVMs out of the data center or
server closest is when they start having problems with them.  Usually this
is when they bring in new servers that don't play well with the 3-5 year old
KVM switch.

Newegg has a huge selection.  Read the reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/ydpcd8l

--
Stan