Re: trying to restrict exim smtp to specific IP

On 2010-01-20, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> I'm installing stuff onto a vserver which I have just got, and according to the
> sysadmin at the hosting provider, due to their set-up, I can't configure exim to
> listen on 127.0.0.1, I have to use the given IP address.
>
> In case that doesn't make sense, I mean that I am not supposed to get this
> netstat output:
>
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>

> It should listen like this (or all hell breaks loose on their server farm):
>
> tcp        0      0 10.20.30.40:25          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>
> where 10.20.30.40 is the static IP I've been given (which is then NAT'd by the
> hosting provider to something else).
>
> My vserver set-up has very simple requirements - I just want the system to send
> out emails generated on the system locally, e.g. piping command output to mailx
>
> Any enlightenment much appreciated
>
> Adam

Try running (as root) 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' and follow the
prompts. An explanation of the various options is given in Section 2 of
the file /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.html.

Or, as others have suggested, you might be better off with a simpler MTA
such as esmtp.

Liam

--
Liam O'Toole