Re: trying to restrict exim smtp to specific IP

Liam O'Toole on 20/01/10 20:41, wrote:
On 2010-01-20, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
I'm installing stuff onto a vserver which I have just got, and according to the sysadmin at the hosting provider, due to their set-up, I can't configure exim to listen on 127.0.0.1, I have to use the given IP address.

In case that doesn't make sense, I mean that I am not supposed to get this netstat output:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

It should listen like this (or all hell breaks loose on their server farm):

tcp        0      0 10.20.30.40:25          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

where 10.20.30.40 is the static IP I've been given (which is then NAT'd by the hosting provider to something else).

My vserver set-up has very simple requirements - I just want the system to send out emails generated on the system locally, e.g. piping command output to mailx

Try running (as root) 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' and follow the
prompts. An explanation of the various options is given in Section 2 of
the file /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.html.

I did that to begin with, since I had to install exim myself anyway. The option to be an "internet server; mail is sent and received using SMTP" is the closest, but as above, I don't want to receive.

I can't figure out how to get there from here though.

Adam