trying to restrict exim smtp to specific IP

I'm installing stuff onto a vserver which I have just got, and according to the sysadmin at the hosting provider, due to their set-up, I can't configure exim to listen on 127.0.0.1, I have to use the given IP address.

In case that doesn't make sense, I mean that I am not supposed to get this netstat output:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

It should listen like this (or all hell breaks loose on their server farm):

tcp        0      0 10.20.30.40:25          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

where 10.20.30.40 is the static IP I've been given (which is then NAT'd by the hosting provider to something else).

My vserver set-up has very simple requirements - I just want the system to send out emails generated on the system locally, e.g. piping command output to mailx

Any enlightenment much appreciated

Adam