Re: modprobe vboxdrv failed (virtualbox-ose 3.1.2-dfsg-1+b1)

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 20:35:15 Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> >> # dmesg |tail
> >> vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > This means that your vboxdrv module is not compiled for your
> > current kernel version, so you will have to use module-assistant to
> > fix that.
>
> It sounds as if dkms hasn't been installed. There is a reference
> somewhere on the VirtualBox web site.

You could be wrong, because I had exactly the same problem. After a
kernel update (from ..-n to ..-n+1 - I don't know the exact versions)
the module would not load anymore. I guess it's a bug in either the
kernel package, in not raising the right version number (i.e. new
package name), or in dkms for not updating the modules. However the
problem solved itself after the next kernel update.