Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Jun 24, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Cowley Harris wrote:

Hal Vaughan wrote.

 "But I haven't seen anyone insult him yet -- but then I
haven't read many of the overnight posts yet."

Anybody here watch "The daily show". The first time I ever saw a show,
they had a piece where they had Donald Rumsfeld denying he had ever
said there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, then they cut to
old news footage of Rumsfeld saying "We know they've got weapons of
mass destruction, we know where they are". Classic.

"you're off your rocker"

Yes, a judgement call. Did you look at the context? Please, if you want to make me look bad, have the courtesy to quote me in context. The line was, "All of US are telling you that you're off your rocker and on a fool's quest." It's a quick paraphrase of much of what has been said, and in context (which includes his question before it, which I'll leave to you to research), it's also idiomatic.

"I've never seen someone work so hard due to fear and sloth."

That's not an insult. Look over his comments. I'll add that I've been corresponding with him privately as well. I'm not a counselor or LCSW or psychologist, but I have enough experience to recognize when someone is avoiding something from fear or trying to avoid work they don't want to do. I'll qualify myself if you need me to.

"You're not just ignorant"

Ignorant is a quantifiable judgement which fits because he has demonstrated an amazing lack of knowledge in the field in discussion.

"...just plain ignorant and stupid"

Not an insult, a judgement call, but one that can be supported. Yes, maybe stupid can be an insult. IF context did not make a difference. I was calling the attitude "just plain ignorant and stupid." That is not insulting the person. If you think so, then take teacher training and see why there is so much focus on addressing problems with a kid's actions, not with them.

Now you can go on, but I stopped reading here because you pretty much took comments out of context to make your point.

In other words, you tried to say that he makes me insecure and tried to focus on me insulting him when, what you've actually done, is exactly what you accuse me of. It's called projection: We like to say others are doing what we don't want to admit we're doing.

The OP has made MANY statements that show he does not know his field. He's been given a LOT of good information, yet persists on saying that his way is right and that others don't understand him. That is, point blank, ignorant. I may not be smooth, I may not be graceful, but I'm not afraid to say, "This is ignorant," when it is.

And next time you want to accuse me or others of doing something, don't pull out just the parts that support your side and figure the context and parts that disprove it will be ignored or can be discarded.

Feel free to misquote me more. I won't be reading it, though. I have a short tolerance for people that take my words out of context and try to say that they mean something other than what they mean in the full context in which they're used. In other words, at first I thought you might have had a point -- until you came on announcing, with the Jon Stewart reference, that you were going to seriously make me look like a full, but could only do so by removing the context of my statements.

Hal