Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

This guy asked a relatively simple question which I'm paraphrasing
here as "can you run Debian without perl or python", the answer is
pretty much no.
He gave his reasons for the question and his opinion on the answers he
was given.  He's also started probably the most interesting thread on
this list for a while.

As I've read it, he's not attacked anyone personally even when
disagreeing with people and yet he is being personally attacked for
his opinions.

Well, here is my opinion, if you feel threatened enough by someone who
disagrees with you, that you must insult them, it's a sign of a weak
logic or a weak mind.  It's the reaction typical of a zealot, fool or
troll and not the response of someone with some useful knowledge to
share.

I don't agree with him that a  "one programming language system"
would be "the right way to do things" or that it would lead to a
bright future of our free software world". but I'm not going to insult
him for his belief.  In fact it might be a good thing that he tries
this endeavor.

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people
attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore,
depends on unreasonable people.” GB Shaw.

The benefits of multiple languages over a 1 language system (1LS) is
that it gives you the ability to program at the appropriate level of
the problem space. The studies show that the higher level you program
the more instructions you have per line, and yet the  bugs per line
stay about the same.
The studies also show that the amount  of LOC produced by programmers
of the same skill level is about the same, whether they use assembly,
c or java, and yet the amount of instructions per LOC  increase with
level of the language. More productivity in the same time span is a
major advantage.

On a personal note, I think that programmers that use different
languages can communicate in "meta-programming" terms, a hash-table is
a hash-table whether you call it a hash or a dictionary.  The benefits
of a 1LS would be small in comparison to the benefits of plural
system.

H.