Re: very broken X after recent upgrades

On Apr 12, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:28, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2009, at 4:29 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Sun,12.Apr.09, 01:40:41, Paul Scott wrote:

Just go to sid, should work. As a minimum you probably need
xserver-xorg-video-nv, xserver-xorg-input-evdev and hal.[1] If you
still
have troubles please post the full Xorg.0.log.

[1] You don't really need hal, but it's more work to get rid of it,
and
yes, the new way does work.

I have all of those. Log is attached. I'm not sure how this Mac (my
current access to the problem machine) will show it.

Ok, I compared to my log and there are things just missing from yours :/

I assume hal is running on that machine. Also check the output of
'lshal' and look for the devices that have 'input.x11_driver' option set (maybe post the relevant entries here), because only such devices are eligible for X11 input devices. Maybe hal just doesn't recognize your
stuff.

There are no input.x11 devices in the hal database! I clearly totally missed some basic changes in Xorg. I have been looking for documentation on
this change and haven't found enough.

That seems really weird. I am pretty sure that if you have a fairly
current and correctly installed hal, you should have those entries,
whether or not X is making correct use of them.

I have basic PS2 keyboard and mouse.  Is that what evdev is for?

You say you are running "squeeze/sid (mostly sid)." Is your
hal the sid version?

AFAIK everything relevant here is the latest from sid. There are no relevant upgradable packages as determined by aptitude. Over the last few days I had downgraded several xorg packages but I reupgraded them all yesterday before this thread.

Thanks,

Paul