Re: very broken X after recent upgrades

On Apr 12, 2009, at 12:16 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Sat,11.Apr.09, 23:50:27, Paul Scott wrote:
Ok. I'm getting:

(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
        If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
AllowEmptyInput.

That's normal.

I have the xorg video input drivers that I know about loaded. How does
the new configuration system work in this respect?

The new configuration uses only evdev so make sure you have the package
installed.

I first lost the mouse a few days ago and the keyboard today.  That's
with several variations of xorg components from testing and unstable as I
fought with aptitude to get what I thought would work.

Just go to sid, should work. As a minimum you probably need
xserver-xorg-video-nv, xserver-xorg-input-evdev and hal.[1] If you still
have troubles please post the full Xorg.0.log.

[1] You don't really need hal, but it's more work to get rid of it, and
yes, the new way does work.

I have all of those. Log is attached. I'm not sure how this Mac (my current access to the problem machine) will show it. I don't see much wrong except maybe

(==) NV(0): Silken mouse enabled since I have a fairly normal Logitech PS2 optical mouse.

Thanks,

Paul