related to mail servers, mta and mda

Hello,

This is a beginner's (no experience with setting up mail servers) query
about MTA's and MUA's. I am trying to see if I can setup an mta or a
related application on my Debian machine which is being run as a router
for my home lan such that it can send email to an external email
address. It does not need to receive any public email at all.

I have already tried heirloom and I can send email to my gmail account
if I put my gmail log in info in my mail's conf file.

Now I am wondering if I can allow outgoing email (need to have port 25
open?) with no need nor requirement to receive any in coming email from
the WAN without having to use a particular email's log in info. The idea
is that email from that machine (and perhaps from lan machines) may be
sent to any valid email address with reply-to address changed to a fixed
email address.

Thanks.

ever having been read.