Re: very broken X after recent upgrades

On Apr 11, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

If
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
doesn't work for me, I'd try my luck with

# dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

I forgot for this thread to say that I'm running squeeze/sid (mostly sid).

I've done that many times with many combinations of packages.  With the latest sid versions of xorg I'm getting an xorg,conf that has no useful configuration information.  It has looked to me from what I've found here and in other forums that xorg.conf is no longer needed but I haven't found what else to do.

2009/4/12 Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com>
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 17:19, Paul Scott <paslist@ultrasw.com> wrote:
> I have a completely broken X windows which occurred at the same time as the
> KDE upgrade.  At the moment I can't get
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to generate an xorg.conf with anything more
> than a skeleton in it.
>
> How can one force the generation of a new xorg.conf?

Does that skeleton work? It should, because that is what a
modern xorg.conf should look like.

Ok.  I hadn't been able to find out how the latest configuration worked yet.  I probably missed a warning message because my kdm crashed at the same time.  Here's the end of my Xorg log for my last try.  At the moment I'm running that system remotely so I can't get visual feedback.

(II) Scanning /usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci directory for additional PCI ID's supported by the drivers
(==) Matched nv for the autoconfigured driver
(==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
(II) LoadModule: "nv"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
(II) UnloadModule: "nv"
(EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Thanks,