Re: very broken X after recent upgrades

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 17:42, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:28, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>> There are no input.x11 devices in the hal database!  I clearly totally
>>> missed some basic changes in Xorg.  I have been looking for documentation
>>> on
>>> this change and haven't found enough.
>>
>> That seems really weird. I am pretty sure that if you have a fairly
>> current and correctly installed hal, you should have those entries,
>> whether or not X is making correct use of them.
>
> I have basic PS2 keyboard and mouse.  Is that what evdev is for?

I think in the past evdev was usb only (or at least that is how people
used it). But now evdev should work with ps/2, and the evdev X driver
is required to use the hal/autoconfig system in X.

But evdev is an X component and should not affect hal's detection
of your mouse and keyboard.

>> You say you are running "squeeze/sid (mostly sid)." Is your
>> hal the sid version?
>

> AFAIK everything relevant here is the latest from sid.  There are no
> relevant upgradable packages as determined by aptitude.  Over the last few
> days I had downgraded several xorg packages but I reupgraded them all
> yesterday before this thread.

Maybe try reinstalling hal/hal-data? And do you have console-setup installed?
I don't know that it is relevant, but it might be (it gives the console the same
keyboard config system as X).

The other thing you could do is switch back to the non-hal system for now.

you will need to add in at least this stuff to xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	 "Keyboard"
    Driver		"kbd"
EndSection