Re: How to change console font?

Robert Latest wrote:
Hello Kelly,

As far as I know, any mode other than 80x25 is FB. There are two
way to display a penguin, one is the kernel option for a boot logo
(off by default in debian), the other is a boot splash program, such
as splashy or usplash.

Yeah, but I don't want the penguin anyway. What I want is a usable console.

All I do to enable higher resolution fb modes is put "vga=791" in the
kernel boot options and make sure console-setup is installed. I am
pretty stumped as to why this isn't working for you.

So am I. I found that I didn't have the console-setup installed, I
installed it, and was happy to see after a reboot that midway through
the boot process I got a different video mode. However, after a power
cycle, everything was back at 80x25 again.

Where are you putting the "vga=791" option? Do you use GRUB? This is what I have in /boot/grub/menu.lst and it works for me everytime:

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

 [...]

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with ## the alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=vga=791

Obviously, by setting the option here, the mode won't be utilized if I boot into a kernel other than the default. But that's fine for me.

Michael M.