OT: Choice of OOo and LaTeX (Was: Tool for document management)

Neil Watson wrote:
> With TeX and LaTeX and its ilk the templates actually work.  I can use
> the same template for all of my reports and they always look the same.
> There are no annoying format inconsistencies that are so common with
> Word and OpenOffice.

    To be fair I am operating out a large measure of ignorance.  One of my
main concerns is that the typesetting languages are languages.  I'm sure
they're robust but I have always seen their use tied to another editor.  Since
an outside editor is required it is my impression that there is no WYSIWYG, no
way to get a basic view of how it might look printed outside of actually doing
whatever magic it is to send it off to a printer.  Which I don't have.

    Also the end result of my labor will be to send this out to be published.
 I have seen many publishers take submissions in Word, plain text or printed
out.  I've yet to see one accept LaTeX.  So without a printer I am stuck with
transforming what I want into an acceptable format and plain text won't so.  I
am using some formatting.  Nothing fancy, noting that will cause formatting
inconsistencies.  But just enough that plain text is unacceptable.