Re: Tool for document management

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:57:35PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
I use XEMacs daily to produce LaTeX documents.  I have frequent need
to search my archives of material I have written in the past, and I
use grep for this purpose.  It is difficult for me to imagine an
advantage offered by OpenOffice which would compensate for the
inability to make use of grep in searching my archives.

   Not having to learn LaTeX would be the head of my list.  While I am sure

Latex is very easy to learn.  It is similar to HTML.  Have learned LaTeX
last year and having used word processors since Wordperfect 5.1 I
definitely prefer LaTeX.  I can produce higher quality papers (work or
academic) in less time than ever before.

With TeX and LaTeX and its ilk the templates actually work.  I can use
the same template for all of my reports and they always look the same.
There are no annoying format inconsistencies that are so common with
Word and OpenOffice.

--
Neil Watson             | Debian Linux
System Administrator    | Uptime 10 days