Re: Tool for document management

Russell L. Harris wrote:
> As a writer and programmer, it appears to me that it is OpenOffice --
> rather than SVN -- which is unsuited for the application which is the
> basis for this thread.

    While I do agree that OOo seems to be the culprit here I do not follow you
down the same path of reasoning.

> I use XEMacs daily to produce LaTeX documents.  I have frequent need
> to search my archives of material I have written in the past, and I
> use grep for this purpose.  It is difficult for me to imagine an
> advantage offered by OpenOffice which would compensate for the
> inability to make use of grep in searching my archives.

    Not having to learn LaTeX would be the head of my list.  While I am sure
it is a fine and dandy language for what it does and I know there are people
who have produced some nice text using it I do not wish to learn a third
computer language just to write fiction in my native language.  What
OpenOffice offers is convenience of visually representing what I want with a
low barrier to entry.

> Moreover, I learned the hard way the potential cost of a proprietary
> file system for document storage, when, as the calendar rolled over
> from A.D 1999 to A.D. 2000, M$ Word 5.0 for DOS began writing garbage
> to document files (one of the few genuine Y2K bugs).  It was that
> experience which prompted my rapid migration to GNU/Linux and EMacs.

    This is where you and I diverge wildly.  You do realize that the document
format we're talking about is an OASIS open document standard, right?

http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php

    Specifically the OpenDocument specification as described here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/index.php#opendocumentv1.1

    So I am not, nor have I ever, been dealing with a proprietary document
format.  Any more than LaTeX.  Now, OOo's implementation of that standard
being hostile to the task at hand... that is a different matter which we agree
upon.  ;)