Tool for document management

Hello,
    I am looking for a tool to help me maintain a backup of a writing project.
 Being a programmer my first instinct is to use something along the lines of
rcs/cvs.  I was thinking of svn since I have a project on Google Code and have
the tools installed on one of the machines on which I would do a part of the
writing.  However in attempting to answer this question for myself with Google
searches I ran across a message in a mailing list which said that version
controls designed for software might not be the best for documents.

    What I want is the following:

 o backup my work on a machine separate from the machine(s) I'll be working on.

 o sync across multiple machines.

 o handle non-text data as well as some textual data.  The main file that is
going to change most often is an OOo document (odt).  I'll also be storing any
related files including Mindmap files (mm) and Writer's Cafe files.

 o version might be nice in case I want to back out of large portions of the
document or refer to previous verbage I had removed and want to reconsider.

 o must be accessible on Windows and Linux (Debian/KUbuntu)

    At first glance I am leaning for throwing Subversion on my main box so I
can sync the other two machines off of it.  Not sure if there is something
better suited to the task or that svn would be particularly ill suited.