Re: Tool for document management

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:50:32AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 09/24/07 02:13, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 04:29:46PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >> The problem being that you won't get proper
> >> diffs between versions where you've only changes a few words. I don't
> >> really know the inner workings of the various VCS, but have a couple
> >> suggestions.
> >
> > In theory, OO documents are zipped archive of XML and graphics files.
> > You can make diff between XML but I do not think you can use diff
> > efficiently.  If you have graphic files etc, diff on them may not be
> > much useful.
>
> It's too bad that OOo doesn't let you specify "uncompressed" as a
> document attribute.  Or even have a "directory-as-document" mode.

Ron, why you are so negative on OOo?

Why we need "uncompressed" when we can make it "uncompressed"?

Here is what I meant by "diff between XML":

 * I made 2 revisions of ODT doc w/o picture.
 * Used fastjar -x and extracted its XML files.
 * Took wdiff -l of 2 version of content.xml

Yes, it tells me what has been changed.

But it is long 1 line XML file w/o line break.  It is hard to see. (It
is useful though if you are desperate.) Thus, I said "not much useful".

I know MS word file can be compared with some special tool (I have seen
it mostly used by lawyer.  It is basically nice color diff.)  I just do
not know similar tool for ODT.  (Anyone know tool for this??)

But if someone just want to exchange doc with others for proofreading,
ODT history will do it just the same way as MS Word.

(Anytime you need so much detailed REV control, you use hand written XML
or LaTeX, I think.)

So SVN or CVS will do good job for the purpose the original poster said.

After all it is one man backup solution issue.

Osamu