Re: Enabling SFTP under Debian 4.0r0

ArcticFox wrote:

On Jul 6, 2007, at 10:04 PM, Kent West wrote:
Again, what happens when you attempt to connect from/to the same Linux box?

If that works, try from the Mac Terminal instead of Fugu and let us know the results.
Both the remote terminal and local terminal give the same error. (Request for subsystem... blah blah blah)

I think at this point I'd try "aptitude purge ssh && aptitude install ssh", from the command line. (It's irrational, I know, but I just don't trust Synaptic as much as I do aptitude.)

Does the error occur after entering your password, or before you even get a password prompt?

But you can ssh fine? What about scp?

You might "tail /var/log/auth.log" for clues.

Can you verify that /usr/bin/sshd is running (as opposed to some other sshd)? As in:
westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> ps ax | grep ss[h]
17652 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd

Also, I don't know if this is related, but attempting to connect through ssh as root gets a "Bad Password" message, yet the password is accepted when used locally.
IIRC, it used to be that sshd_config had "PermitRootLogin=no", but I think in more recent times it's set to yes (which seems unwise to me).