Re: Enabling SFTP under Debian 4.0r0

On Jul 6, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 01:09:42PM -0500, ArcticFox wrote:
I just installed the newest version of Debian and was quite annoyed to
discover that neither SSH nor SFTP are enabled after installing. I've
gotten SSH to work, but I'm still having trouble with SFTP. Any
suggestions?

Why would you be annoyed that a service isn't up and running?  The
base install doesn't include ssh. Someone else could be "quite annoyed"
that there's no apache running.

Because the last time I installed the system SSH and SFTP did come with the base system. And apache is available on the initial software install screen that appears after installing the base system.

[...]

I used the synoptic package manager to install ssh, and according to
that program openssh-client, openssh-server, and ssh are all installed.
I'm trying to connect from my laptop to the Linux computer using sftp.
I can connect through ssh.

review your /etc/ssh/sshd_config and confirm there is a Subsystem line
for sftp. mine looks like this:

Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

and it works.

of course, restart sshd to test.
I added that line to the file (It wasn't there before) but how do you restart sshd I can't find information in the help or man file.

As far as I know there's no firewall on this computer, I didn't set one
up as I have a router with firewall capability already in place. So
unless the installer places a firewall.

and have you opened the ports on your router?

looks like you need 115 open for sftp

I'm connecting from inside the router, it's firewall doesn't affect local connections.

[...]

Check in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config that the following line exists (at the
end):

  Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

Can you provide us how did you test your SFTP server and the _exact_ error
you got ?

Regards.

--
Yann Lejeune.

I attempted a connection using a program called Fugu, the error was 'Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0'