Re: Enabling SFTP under Debian 4.0r0

Kent West wrote:
> I think at this point I'd try "aptitude purge ssh && aptitude install
> ssh", from the command line. (It's irrational, I know, but I just don't
> trust Synaptic as much as I do aptitude.)

The 'ssh' package is a metapackage and contains nothing other than the
dependencies.  Purging it and reinstalling it won't do what you hope.
What you are suggesting would need to purge and reinstall the
openssh-client and openssh-server packages.  (Due to popular demand
the ssh package in Sarge was split into two packages, openssh-client
and openssh-server, for Etch.)

I agree that is probably a good route.  Becuase it looks to me like a
post installation misconfiguration and that would be the most direct
way to get everything clean again.

Bob