Re: Enabling SFTP under Debian 4.0r0

ArcticFox wrote:

On Jul 6, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

<snipped...>

of course, restart sshd to test.
I added that line to the file (It wasn't there before) but how do you restart sshd I can't find information in the help or man file.

In /etc/init.d there is a file called 'ssh'. It starts/stops/restarts the ssh system. Do this as root:

  /etc/init.d/ssh stop
  /etc/init.d/ssh start

or just:

  /etc/init.d/ssh restart

may work.

<snipped again...>

I attempted a connection using a program called Fugu, the error was 'Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0'

I know nothing about 'Fugu', you may want to use ssh/sftp on the server to connect back to the server, as suggested by another poster, to check that the service is running correctly and is accessible.

You may also want to install 'Putty' on your client as an alternate test tool. I've used both the Linux and Windows builds to successfully connect with my home server.

--
Bob McGowan