Re: [OT] Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Tue, 22 May 2007 01:33:53 -0400
Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> What I fail to understand is what difference does it make if text is
> above or below a sig delimiter?

It doesn't.

> Either it is offensive or it is not.

What is offensive or isn't is entirely up to the reader.

> What is the requirement?  It can be offensive if the text is a
> properly formatted sig?  It can be offensive if there is at least an
> equal amount of on-topic non-offensive text?  Seriously.  What is the
> policy?

The policy is that if you feel offended by someone's opinion, you
either try to resolve the matter with that person (and not necessarily
on this list), or you ignore that person's opinion. If the offending
opinions are regularly found in signatures, just turn them off in your
mail reader.

> Yeah, because just griping about what is going on is so much better
> asking questions that try to get to a clearer understanding of what is
> "acceptable" list conduct.  Right?

In general offending people is more acceptable if the offending
opinions are within the scope of the mailing list's topic.

--D.