Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

Joey Hess wrote:

> Frans, Cord, Martin, Pascal,
>
> I'm writing the listmasters because reading debian-user has become
> nearly unbearable for me (one of the sadly few DDs who bothers to read
> our user lists) due to volume and offensiveness/repetativeness of
> offtopic posts there.

I would like to help in whatever way I can to stop these OT posts. I have
previously complained about it. But the OT posters never seem to listen.
There were only a bunch in the beginning, of late the number of OT posters
is also increasing. Now that the complaint is coming from a DD, I hope that
some action/policy will be laid out...

Greg Folkert (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/05/msg01282.html)
even made a mockery of people complaining about OT posts. That is just sad.

What makes this whole issue difficult is that these people hijack threads
and make them OT. While I may be interested in the original thread, it
becomes unreadable in the due course.

Moreover, the OT posters are pretty knowledgeable about Debian (atleast they
know a lot more than myself). So I cannot even killfile them since then I
would not benefit from their non-OT posts.

> I've in the past threatened to leave -user
> entirely, and I have in fact moved a lot of my attention to providing
> support on forums.debian.net[4], but I would prefer that Debian
> articulate a policy of not tolerating this kind of behavior.

It's so sad that these OT posters are driving away people like you. I have
always enjoyed (learned a lot from) your posts on this mailing list.

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi