Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Sat, 19 May 2007 08:44:09 -0400
Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 09:11:37PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
>
> > However, I do think it would be good to add language to the description
> > of the mailing list that suggests that people take off-topic
> > conversations elsewhere.
>
> Perhaps a clarification in the code of conduct.
>
> As I see it, OT is for stuff that isn't really debian-specific but that
> you would like input on from debian people.  For example, if I've come
> to know and trust the debian-user community and I need help with fixing
> a hardware problem or I need to choose a new power supply, that would be
> OT but appropriate to the list, IMHO.
>
> OTOH, the comments that Joey referenced and the threads that spawned
> them are at least one of:
> 	-	not relavent or related to the list topic
> 	-	offensive to some group
> 	-	beyond offensive and bordering on hateful.
> 		I haven't read most of the relavent posts since I found
> 		them offensive.  Were I to have received them via
> 		snailmail, I would carefully read them and consider
> 		reporting them has hate mail.  Anyone receiving their
> 		email via ham radio would be in a bit of a pickle since
> 		it would be them that caused such messages to be
> 		transmitted on ham frequencies.

I see your point about offensiveness, but I'll point out that the OT
thread I started (Good, evil, etc) was a response to a sig that I felt
attacked religion unfairly. Many people use quite provocative sigs,
ridiculing (often wittily) political or religious views they oppose. If
we demand that posts be inoffensive, I counter-request that people cut
the offensive sigs.

> Doug.

Celejar