Re: [OT] Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:34:25AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> Roberto C  Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com>:
> >  On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 04:31:12PM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > >
> > > No.  Think about what you're saying.  Sigs are a time honoured
> > > practice, and if you don't like one, hit delete and move on.  Or, if
> > > you prefer, email 'em off-list and tell 'em what you think.  You've no
> > > right to tell them what to think, say, or write.
> >
> >  So, let me see if I understand this.  The things for which Michelle,
> >  Ron, Michael, Johannes, Judd, Florian and I were criticized, because
> >  they were supposedly offensive, would be OK as long as they were in a
> >  sig?
>
> Roberto, I generally respect you.  You often have great things to
> say.  Please, try not to act the fool.  You're welcome to stick the
> whole Ten Commandments in your sig if you want and I promise to ignore
> it ruthlessly (assuming you can do that in four lines with a proper
> sig delimiter; good luck with that, but maybe a URL to them will serve
> your purpose).

Please don't patronize me.  I am seriously asking.

What I fail to understand is what difference does it make if text is
above or below a sig delimiter?  Either it is offensive or it is not.  I
and others have been blasted for supposedly offensive remarks.  However,
if you read the sigs of many people who post on this list (and even lots
of Debian developers who post on the developer lists) you will find
words/material that is equally as offensive, if not more.

What is the requirement?  It can be offensive if the text is a properly
formatted sig?  It can be offensive if there is at least an equal amount
of on-topic non-offensive text?  Seriously.  What is the policy?

> The point is, we're trying to make this list tolerable for people we
> who we need or want to read it.  You're not helping with childish
> stuff like this.

Yeah, because just griping about what is going on is so much better
asking questions that try to get to a clearer understanding of what is
"acceptable" list conduct.  Right?

Regards,

-Roberto
--