Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Mon, May 21, 2007 10:46:09 AM -0400, Celejar (celejar@gmail.com)
wrote:

> I'll point out that the OT thread I started (Good, evil, etc) was a
> response to a sig that I felt attacked religion unfairly. Many
> people use quite provocative sigs, ridiculing (often wittily)
> political or religious views they oppose. If we demand that posts be
> inoffensive, I counter-request that people cut the offensive sigs.

Generally speaking, I would probably agree with you, at least in
principle. Right now, this looks to me as just another attempt to
troll (or make Roberto start to troll again), or at the very least to
steer attention from your faults.

More exactly, I think that, even if you were right, the sigs are a
totally unrelated issue wrt the initial complaint of this thread and
that you, Roberto and the others are NOT in a position to negotiate or
counter-request anything right now. All of you make way too much OT
noise on list period. Whatever was the initial reason for *SOME* of
those threads, nobody cares anymore.

If there were offending sigs or offending language and an initial
request to stop doesn't succeed, you should have asked the moderators
(*) to ban those who caused the problem.

We can discuss sigs moderation again AFTER you all have started to
behave properly. And, I'd add, only if you all promise in advance to
NOT participate in that thread, if we need to end it some day :-)

	Marco

(*) yes, the moderators, that is listmasters or whatever you want to
call them. I have read your objection that this is a not moderated
list, but it is irrelevant. My proposal was to ban outright your email
or IP addresses, not to hold and check each single email sent to the
list by anybody.

--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Free Software
http://digifreedom.net/