Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:46:09AM -0400, Celejar wrote:

> I see your point about offensiveness, but I'll point out that the OT
> thread I started (Good, evil, etc) was a response to a sig that I felt
> attacked religion unfairly. Many people use quite provocative sigs,
> ridiculing (often wittily) political or religious views they oppose. If
> we demand that posts be inoffensive, I counter-request that people cut
> the offensive sigs.

Agreed.  Further, I would argue that a request to change a sig is not
OT; it is overhead of maintaining a healthy user environment that
everyone should read and not filter out as OT.  It shouldn't make for a
long thread.  For example:

A's sig:

	How many Queen's students does it take to change a lightbulb?
	One to hold the bulb while the world revolves around him/her.

B:
	I'm a Queens' grad and I find your sig offensive.

A:	Sorry.

A's new sig:

	How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?
	One, but the lightbulb really has to want to change.

End of A and B's thread.

Doug.