why linux?

For months now I have been trying to make Debian behave like a real OS.  However, I still cannot print, format/initialize a new cd or use one to back up files, get the sound working, watch a movie or read images from my digital camera.  With Windows all this was simple.  I downloaded the relevant program, set it up and it worked.  Windows is supposed to be devilspawn and doomed, and maybe it is.  It does, however, have one saving grace; it works.  It works without expecting me to become a systems engineer.

When I go to someplace like freenode/#debian I am ignored.  Maybe I should say to Hell with Linux and sell my story to Microsoft.  Obviously I don't really want to, but how much longer should I put up with a partial OS?  I don't mind telling you I'm damned sick of it.