Re: why linux?

2007/5/21, S C <ojieurojsc@yahoo.ca>:
For months now I have been trying to make Debian behave like a real OS.  However, I still cannot print, format/initialize a new cd or use one to back up files, get the sound working, watch a movie or read images from my digital camera.  With Windows all this was simple.  I downloaded the relevant program, set it up and it worked.  Windows is supposed to be devilspawn and doomed, and maybe it is.  It does, however, have one saving grace; it works.  It works without expecting me to become a systems engineer.

When I go to someplace like freenode/#debian I am ignored.  Maybe I should say to Hell with Linux and sell my story to Microsoft.  Obviously I don't really want to, but how much longer should I put up with a partial OS?  I don't mind telling you I'm damned sick of it.

Hi,

what do you wanna do?
printing -->> from a superuser shell, apt-get install cupsys. Then you are ready to print, just configure those necessary thing.
R/RW cd -->> still as a SU, apt-get install k3b. Then just launch it and reply to answers
movies -->> apt-get install xine and then configure
.... and so on.

You can't expect debian behaves like windows, it's clearly another flavour so you must read some documentation (apt-get install debian-reference) and man pages. No systems engineer is needed to be a debian user but not being lazy is useful (needed) instead ;)

raffaele