Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 06:19:12AM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:

> > On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:57:42AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > If the volume of messages in an off-topic thread is large enough that
> > > an entire separate list is being considered, the off-topic diversion
> > > is already beyond the level Joey describes as "social lubricant" and
> > > into the level of disruptive noise.
> >
> > So people who "know" each other for years on this list are condemned
> > to keep discussions (mostly) on-topic or leave the forum?

By forum I meant whole Debian, not this list (should have put some
quotes around).

> Of course. How can you ask such a ridiculous question? Please think a
> bit more before posting. First of all, going by your "logic", I could
> invite all my friends to post here all the proposals on where to go on
> vacation next summer or which DVD I should rent tomorrow.

Just in case you missed my initial proposal, I was suggesting a separate
list for OT, but still within the Debian project. This way when OT gets
out of hand posters could move the thread to the OT list. I see this on
the lists of a LUG and it works fairly well.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)