Re: getmail configuration (How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup)

Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> wrote:

> The point you've been trying to make all through this thread is I
> think starting to become clear to me (everyone cheer now), because I
> didn't realize think about mail being scanned for spam before a full
> message is received.  Is it true that in the case of getmail (POP3)
> sending a (full) message to the recipient via sendmail, a spam
> checker will not do anything?  (If you know of any good
> general/overall mail docs...)

I don't think I understand what you mean. Here is how I see it:

1. You receive mail via SMTP. You get the chance to reject the mail
before getting it on your system so you can save some bandwidth

2. You receive mail via POP3/IMAP. Unless you use some programs
like mailfilter (suggested elsewhere in this thread) you already have
the spam on your system so it doesn't matter where you do the filtering
(getmail, MTA, MDA, MUA, ...). My choice would be in getmail or MDA
(maildrop).

However, in a *mixed* environment it makes sense to implement the
filtering once (MTA for the added benefit on point 1.) and use the same
for getmail.

What I don't think is optimal is to redirect *all* your mails through an
MTA like exim/postfix/... just to do some filtering. Getmail can do
this on its own just fine (well not the actual filtering, but then
neither does exim/postfix), no need for the added complexity.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)