Re: getmail configuration (How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup)

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> 1.) What is 'reinjection in a mail queue'? Where can I learn how this
> differs from whatever is being done by fetchmail as an example case?
> Or does fetchmail also do reinjection in a mail queue?

As I understand it, the pop3/imap protocols were created to allow a
mail client to retrieve the mail and present it to the user. Fetchmail
instead is feeding it back to a mail server through port 25.

> 2.) What are a few of the things that break? Where can I learn more
> about them? What terms should I key into Google to get a reasonable
> reading list on this topic?

This is out of my league. But I guess for simple setups it could be
quite safe.

> 3.) In the context of getmail setup, is exim4 also a MDA?

exim AFAIK can deliver directly to a mailbox and can even do
sorting/filtering so I guess it has much of the functionality of a MDA
incorporated.

> 4.) In addition to these simple questions, what intelligent questions
> should I have asked on this topic?

I don't think your questions are bad. The only thing I don't understand
is why you would want to feed everything back through an MTA? IMVHO, the
only kind of setup it would make sense is a mail server (where you
receive mail directly with an MTA) and just one or two additional
pop3/imap accounts. Of course I may be wrong.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)