Re: How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup

On 22 Mar, Celejar wrote:

> I use getmail, which is not even designed to run as a daemon. From the
> FAQ:
>
>> How do I run getmail in "daemon" mode?
>>
>>    Use your system's cron utility to run getmail periodically if you
>>    wish to have mail retrieved automatically at intervals. This is
>>    precisely what cron is designed to do; there's no need to add
>>    special code to getmail to do this.
>>
>>    With a reasonably standard system cron utility, a crontab(5) entry
>>    like the following will make getmail retrieve mail every hour:
>>
>>  0 * * * * /usr/local/bin/getmail --quiet
>
> Celejar

     What advantages are there to getmail?  I've run fetchmail
successfully in daemon mode, with the only problem being that it doesn't
always download all the messages in one shot.  I'm not a big advocate
of it, however, it just works ok for me.  I may play around with getmail
to see if it's better for me with regards to the download issue.

     What happens if getmail (or fetchmail for that matter) gets called
by cron when another instance is still running, due to network issues
or huge attachments?  This used to be more of an issue when we had
dialup, and  I'd limit the message size in fetchmail.

     Can either getmail or fetchmail be configured to leave the messages
(read or unread) on the server until they've been there for a certain
time period?

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |