Re: getmail configuration (How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup)

Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 11:06 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > Paul Stolp <paulywall@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I would think that this would then use exim's spam and
> > > virus checking (I actually don't have that going
> > > through exim.)
> > >
> > > Perhaps I'm missing the point ... can spam and viruses
> > > be rejected at SMTP time with fetchmail?
> >
> > SMTP? fetchmail is using POP3 to retrieve mails and rejection
> > by exim before receiving them is pretty pointless.
>
> How is it pointless if you want your incoming mail (via getmail)
> scanned for viruses/spam along with any other mail received (via
> SMTP) by the system?

Sorry, it does make sense in an environment where you receive mail via
SMTP. But for the ones received via POP3 it's too late because they are
already on your system and you don't get to reject them before
receiving. This is what I meant.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)