Re: getmail configuration (How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup)

* Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> [2007-03-26 17:00]:
> Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verheyen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Andrei Popescu schreef:

> > > As I understand it, the pop3/imap protocols were created to allow a
> > > mail client to retrieve the mail and present it to the user.
> > > Fetchmail instead is feeding it back to a mail server through port
> > > 25.
> >
> > In my case, i use fetchmail in daemon mode without problems but
> > apperently, there is some ugliness with bounced messages when using
> > reinjection. Not sure how or what that entails but i would also like
> > to know what the exact problem is.
> >
> > I've had a look at getmail and it's indeed easy to setup & have cron
> > check the mail, but, with fetchmail the spam & virus checking is done
> > from exim.
> >
> > With getmail this is no longer possible so you have to find another
>
> But you can do it with getmail itself, just use a [filter-foo] section.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

I'm not even sure you need such a section. You can use
getmail through the MTA. e.g. here is my getmailrc:

[options]
verbose=1
readall=1
delete=1
message_log=~/.getmail/getmail.log
[retriever]
type=SimplePOP3Retriever
server=xxxx.xxx
username=xxxxx
password=xxxxxxxx
[destination]
type=MDA_external
path=/usr/sbin/exim4
arguments=("-bm","unixaccountname",)

I would think that this would then use exim's spam and
virus checking (I actually don't have that going
through exim.)

Perhaps I'm missing the point ... can spam and viruses
be rejected at SMTP time with fetchmail?

While I'm aware of no specific problem, I suppose that
this setup could lead to the reinjection ugliness
Benedict refers to.

--
Paul S