Re: getmail configuration (How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup)

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 18:15 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > SMTP? fetchmail is using POP3 to retrieve mails and rejection
> > > by exim before receiving them is pretty pointless.
> >
> > How is it pointless if you want your incoming mail (via getmail)
> > scanned for viruses/spam along with any other mail received (via
> > SMTP) by the system?
>
> Sorry, it does make sense in an environment where you receive mail via
> SMTP. But for the ones received via POP3 it's too late because they are
> already on your system and you don't get to reject them before
> receiving. This is what I meant.

The point you've been trying to make all through this thread is I think
starting to become clear to me (everyone cheer now), because I didn't
realize think about mail being scanned for spam before a full message is
received.  Is it true that in the case of getmail (POP3) sending a
(full) message to the recipient via sendmail, a spam checker will not do
anything?  (If you know of any good general/overall mail docs...)