Re: getmail configuration (How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup)

Benedict Verheyen(benedict.verheyen@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> Andrei Popescu schreef:
> > Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> >
> >> 1.) What is 'reinjection in a mail queue'? Where can I learn how this
> >> differs from whatever is being done by fetchmail as an example case?
> >> Or does fetchmail also do reinjection in a mail queue?
> >
> > As I understand it, the pop3/imap protocols were created to allow a
> > mail client to retrieve the mail and present it to the user. Fetchmail
> > instead is feeding it back to a mail server through port 25.
>
> In my case, i use fetchmail in daemon mode without problems but
> apperently, there is some ugliness with bounced messages when using
> reinjection. Not sure how or what that entails but i would also like to
> know what the exact problem is.
>
> I've had a look at getmail and it's indeed easy to setup & have cron
> check the mail, but, with fetchmail the spam & virus checking is done
> from exim.

It doesn't have be.  Take a look at the mailfilter package.  It scans
the Pop server for spam prior to running fetchmail so deletes it at
the server and never downloads it.

>From the apt-cache show mailfilter:
<quote>
 With Mailfilter you can define your own filters (rules) to determine
 which e-mails should be delivered and which are considered waste. Rules
 are Regular Expressions, so you can make use of familiar options from
 other mail delivery programs such as e.g. procmail.
<close quote>

I used that for a year or so and got the spam down by 90%.  I am now
running a murx (not yet packaged for debian) and I now see only 1-2
spam mails a day.  murx is at <http://murx.sourceforge.net>

Murx has expanded filtering and seems to be faster then mailfilter.

Wayne

--
"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the
usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody