Re: getmail configuration

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 10:07 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My mail is in ~/.Maildir, accessed by dovecot-imapd, delived to by
> > postfix.  How can I configure getmail to deliver mail through postfix
> > or dovecot?  I don't know what fetchmail does, but I don't think it
> > delivers directly to ~/.Maildir.  Also, I haven't ever had problems
> > with fetchmail configured this way.  Debian Etch.
>
> Getmail was designed to deliver directly to Maildir:
> or through an MDA (mail delivery agent) like maildrop:
>
> [destination]
> type = MDA_external
> path = /usr/bin/maildrop
> unixfrom = true
>
> Delivery through reinjection in a mail queue is not officially
> supported as it can break many things if not done properly. And if you
> know how to do it properly you don't need to ask ;)

I don't want to do anything that is not official supported! :)

But what is fetchmail doing?

And also: can postfix not act as the MDA?  I'm not really clear on all
the M*A stuff, so I looked on Wikipedia for MDA and it says there that:
  "[An MDA] is software that accepts incoming e-mail messages and
distributes them to recipients' individual mailboxes (if the destination
account is on the local machine), or forwards to another SMTP server (if
the destination is on a remote server)."

Okay, so that would be what Postfix does anytime it receives mail.

Next:
  "[An MDA] is not necessarily a mail transfer agent (MTA), although on
many systems the two functions are implemented by the same program."

From what I read, postfix does seem to include an MDA...

Can I not send mail to the Postfix MDA somehow?  What I essentially want
to end up with is for postfix to exist somehow between getmail and
~/.Maildir so that only Postfix is writing to ~/.Maildir and any spam
filtering I set up with Postfix will check the mail retrieved by getmail
too.  And if I change my mail configuration/location, getmail
configuration doesn't need to be changed.

Will sendmail (as MDA_external) do want I'm wanting?

Also, from a forum (http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5142):
  "You don't need the MTA path, getmail should forward it via port 25 to
zimbra, the same way that fetchmail does."

Is that what fetchmail is doing?  Hey, this is it (fetchmail man):
  "As each message is retrieved fetchmail normally delivers it via SMTP
to port 25 on the machine it is running on (localhost), just as though
it were being passed in over a normal TCP/IP link. The mail will then be
delivered locally via your system’s MDA (Mail Delivery Agent, usually
sendmail(8) but your system may use a different one such as smail, mmdf,
exim, or qmail). All the delivery-control mechanisms (such as .forward
files) normally available through your system MDA and local delivery
agents will therefore work automatically."

How can I get getmail to do this?  sendmail?

Thanks everyone; I'm having to learn a lot here as I go!