Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:08:13PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Oh come on. At the company we just left, we generated 2-3 proposals a month, each at 25 pages or so, using Word. There are lots of reasons to dislike Word, but get real, it's usable

That depends on how you define usable.  Word might handle a 25 page
document.  The experience of many of my friends has been that big
documents (25 pages is not big) are a real pain Word.  One friend of
mine did his thesis (350-400 pages) in Word.  Once he got past 100 or
150 pages, he was constantly fighting with it.  The TOC would get messed
up, it would screw up formatting and sectioning and lots of other
issues.

From personal experience:
I have written 1 book: a translation of Henry Corbin's En Islam Iranien - II. (300+ pages)

I have done that in 2 ways: one in M$ Word and one with Latex. The M$ Word was a royal PITA because Word does not handle TOC's well. I had to do that all myself with that Basic implementation for Word. On the other hand LaTex did it all without a hitch.

Second of all the formatting gets messed up in Word: it switches format without warning and you end up making little hardcoded adjustments: never happens in LaTex.

Be glad to send the Latex version on request.

Hugo