Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Sunday 11 February 2007 04:43, Joe Hart wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:03:18 +0100
> >
> > Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
> >> Damn, did it again.  I am so used to hitting reply.  I have to
> >> remember Reply to ALL...
> >
> > 'Reply to list' would be better. There was just recently a thread
> > about Icedove/Thundebird extensions to achieve that.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> Thanks, I'll check the archives because I searched for it on mozilla
> and couldn't find it.
>
> To be honest I would prefer switching to Kmail because it integrates
> much better to KDE, and it is a good client, but I can't do that
> because my mail has to be accessible from Windows, that my wife
> insists that I keep on this PC.
>
> She gets mail too, and says that she has to have windows for her
> school.  I told her about Crossover Office, but she says "Why should
> we buy something so I we can run MS Office on Linux when it runs fine
> under Windows".  Maybe I'll play with wine and get her apps working.
> I have yet to spend the time.  She says OpenOffice isn't good enough,
> because it can't read the .doc files reliably (thanks to the
> proprietary nature of the .doc files).

If Office is the issue, and not Windows overall, then why should she buy
office when she can use OpenOffice for free and it will read and write
all MS Office files?

Why pay for Microsoft when there's a FOSS program that is not going to
be an infection vector for viruses?

Hal