Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/12/07 11:49, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> Joe Hart wrote:
> [snip]
>> I might be a bit of a purist, but I would say that even for one
>> page of a document you will be better of with LaTeX. Word output
>> might be ok for a quick fax, but the printed text from a half-way
>> decent printer will always look better, if it's done in LaTeX.
>
> Outside of high academia & the publishing industry, that amount of
> precision doesn't really matter.

Outside of high academia & the publishing industry, most people don't
care how ugly their printed documents look. They accept what they are
used to accept. When they are told about LaTeX, they fear the effort
that might  be involved in getting used to create documents in a
different way and don't take the time to have a closer look. They also
don't take the time to even ponder about the possibility that LaTeX's
concept of separating structure, content and layout would boost their
productivity in the long run or not. And they know that within their
ranks they stick with the majority and thus can't be wrong.

In this way, talking to M$ word users about LaTeX is just about the same
as talking to M$ O$ users about linux or debian. They might struggle
with some of the shortcomings, but their pain is not big enough to leave
the mainstream and to dare the move to another way of working.

0.02€

Johannes