Re: flash plugin

Bob McGowan wrote:
I've got iceweasel installed and the installed files list shows a directory called 'plugins', located here:

    /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins

This is where I'd look to put the Flash files, if I wanted them to be globally active (for all possible users of the system). But, you can have a private plugin directory, for your account. Put the files in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins, which does *not* exist by default, so you need to create it.

The system plugin directory will always exist. Both Iceweasel and Firefox have default plugins that are part of the base package and are installed there.

I just downloaded a new plugin, for testing purposes, and put the .so file in my .mozilla/plugins directory, and it loaded and ran perfectly. In this case, the plugin loaded and worked without a restart of the browser, but you may find it's necessary to exit and restart the browser before some plugins work.

Bob

I downloaded the new plugin from the Adobe page + created $HOME/.mozilla/plugins.
Untarred the tarball as user and ran ./flashplayer-installer.

It told me:
NOTE: Please ask your administrator to remove the xpti.dat from the
      components directory of the Mozilla or Netscape browser.

which I did. Then about:plugins in iceweasel shows:

Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63

which is correct because the global installation still has 7.0 and my private installation has 9.0.

However, when I go here:
http://www.latimes.com/
it still tells me I don't have the latest plugin.

Anybody else see that?

Hugo

Niels Rasmussen wrote:
Jonathan Kaye wrote:
Just get the tarball directly from Adobe. You can find it here:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW The installation instructions are on this link but I just manually stick the
two files in ~/.mozilla/plugins. The files are flashplayer.xpt and
libflashplayer.so. I'm running Firefox and this is where it wants them.

Are you sure ?? (I had to create the plugins dir maually).

It doesn't work here :-/

I'm running debian testing (etch)

Could you please share some more info on this ?