Re: Wanted: decent GNOME player with MP4/AAC support

On 11/12/06, André Wendt <andre.wendt@web.de> wrote:
Kelly Clowers schrieb:
> On 11/12/06, André Wendt <andre.wendt@web.de> wrote:
>> Kelly Clowers schrieb:
>> >
>> > Do you have Marillat's "gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad" package
>> > installed? It uses libfaad2 which is apparently the best aac decoder
>> > out there. If you have that, Rhythmbox and Banshee should be able
>> > to handle aac.
>>
>> Thanks for the info. In fact, I have the package installed, but still
>> cannot play AAC. I just reinstalled rhythmbox, maybe I installed them in
>> wrong order before and something got messed up. (I don't know a lot
>> about music libraries and plugins.)
>>
>> I'll report back if I made any progress.
>>
>> Regards,
>> André
>
> I got some .m4a files and tested them in Rhythmbox and Amarok.
> They worked fine, but I see there are reports of some aac files working
> and others not working.
>
> What errors do you get when trying to import the files? You say you
> have aac/mp4 files; are the extensions .mp4 or .aac or both? If some
> have different extensions, have you tried importing just one file at a
> time to see if it fails on one type but not the other?

Thanks for you time and patience. Rhythmbox reports "Could not decode
data stream" under Library/Import Errors. All the files in question have
.m4a extension, and they are in the same format (renaming to .aac or
.mp4 does not change the behavior). It does not matter if I try to
import a single file or a directory.

Banshee gives the same error after importing, when trying to play the file.

And after all, mplayer, XMMS and xine can all play my AAC files... Why
can't the two programs that offer a music library? :-(

> Also, take a look at this bug:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg/+bug/48727
>

> Maybe it's a tag problem.

Sorry, you lost me here. What is a "tag problem?" I was not using the
musicbrainz tagger, so I don't think the bug report relates to my problem.

Well, other taggers could theoretically cause problems as well, but now I don't
think that's what is going on.

I have now ripped a cd to aac format and I found that although Amarok played
it, Rhythmbox did not (whereas the aac I downloaded played on both).
I get the same error you did - "could not decode data stream"

To rule out problems with Rhythmbox, I have tried playing it with gstreamer
on the command line.

Using "gst-launch filesrc location=downloaded_aac.m4a ! decodebin !
audioconvert ! audioresample ! osssink" works. "decodebin" guesses
the decoder needed.

Strangely, "gst-launch filesrc location=downloaded_aac.m4a ! faad !
audioconvert ! audioresample ! osssink" does not work (manually
entering the decoder needed).

But the .m4a file I ripped does not work with "faad" or "decodebin".

Xine plays both files just fine.

At this point my abilities to investigate pretty much end.
You could try talking to the gstreamer people.

Otherwise, you could use a GTK player that doesn't use gstreamer,
and does play aac. Unfortunately, players like that seem to be rare.
There is one called xfmedia that works but it only uses playlists
(no library).

So the options seem to be: xine-based (xine, totem-xine, xfmedia)
with no library; Amarok, which uses kde; xmms with no library;
or wait for a gstreamer fix. Or transcode to another format (mp3
or ogg vorbis) but that would be a major pain and a move from
one lossy format to another lossy fomat can hurt sound quality.

Sorry I can't help more.

Cheers,
Kelly