Re: Wanted: decent GNOME player with MP4/AAC support

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 22:22 +0100, André Wendt wrote:
> Thanks for you time and patience. Rhythmbox reports "Could not decode
> data stream" under Library/Import Errors. All the files in question have
> .m4a extension, and they are in the same format (renaming to .aac or
> .mp4 does not change the behavior). It does not matter if I try to
> import a single file or a directory.

Install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad and the necessary depends from
http://www.debian-multimedia.org

If the files doesn't play in Gstreamer-based players, first, make sure
that the plugin is installed ok:

        gst-inspect-0.10 | grep faad

Then, see if the faad program (independent package "faad" from above
source) and decode the file.

        Run faad song.aac and try to play the resulting .wav file.

If so, see if Gstreamer itself can play the file.

        gst-launch-0.10 playbin uri=file:///path/to/song.aac

If it works so far, you need to see if the failure is in Rhythmbox
itself. Running with the debug flag, -d and trying to import the files
is a good start.

HTH,

--
Cheers,