D-Bus error trying to run gaim AND how do i ensure better upgrades?

i did an upgrade of my testing system recently and afterwards have found a
nubmer of problems on my system. the most recent is that i can't run gaim
properly. when i try to, the screen appears momentarily and then goes away,
leaving the folowing error message in the console.

   D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read
   machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such
   file or directory
   See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
   Continuing with a bogus made-up machine UUID, which may cause
   problems.gaim: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0:\
   undefined symbol: cairo_scaled_font_get_font_options

i had some problems earlier with gaim and dealt with them by copying the
config file from the root user to my user's directory, but the D-Bus error is
new and started when i reinstalled gaim to deal with some other problems.

What is the D-Bus error about?

Also, how can i lessen my chances of breaking things when i upgrade. (i have
both testing and stable addresses in my sources.list file)